HISTORY OF AMS
Adairsville has enjoyed a long history of providing educational opportunities to its community. Adairsville Schools began circa 1900 as Cherokee Baptist High School, housing grades 9 through 11 on the site of the current school. In 1910 the City of Adairsville was asked to take over the elementary section of the school by the Middle Cherokee Baptist Association. At that time, the elementary grades were renamed the Cherokee Institute. Later, in 1916, the Cherokee Baptist Association requested that the city take over the remaining grade levels also. The school remained under the jurisdiction of the City of Adairsville until 1939 when control of the school was transferred to the Bartow County School System. In 1955, three classrooms and a cafeteria, which are still in use today, were constructed to serve grades 1-12. In 1964, five more classrooms were added. The two story building was constructed in 1967. In 1976 everything between the two-story building and the old elementary wing was built, including the media center, another cafeteria, the gym, the auditorium, and classrooms. There was a secondary gym constructed for the middle school use.
The school functioned as a 1-12 facility from the 1950's until 1978, when the current Adairsville Elementary School was built. During the period of 1978-1985, the school included grades 7-12. In 1985 grade six was added, and grades 6-8 officially became Adairsville Middle School. In 1995 the decision was made to reunite AMS and AHS under one administration, and was called Adairsville Middle/High School. Then in 2000 Adairsville Middle once more became its own separate school. Finally, in 2004 the long-awaited new Adairsville High School was completed and AMS expanded into its entire present facility.