Individuals desiring to appear before the Board must first complete this sign-in sheet which shall be available from 5:15 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. prior to the start of each work session and business meeting. The superintendent or his/her designee will provide these forms to prospective speakers and be available to answer any questions regarding procedures. Any materials the speaker desires the Board to receive related to his/her remarks shall be given to the superintendent or his/her designee at this time for distribution to the Board.
Items which are excluded from the Open Meetings Act will not be discussed during the session. (This includes certain land, legal reference, individual student discipline cases, and personnel items).
Speakers will be given three to five minutes to speak before the board, with the time per speaker being determined by the chairman, depending on the number of speakers and topics listed.
A written response to each speaker will be provided by the appropriate administrator within thirty (30) days if requested by the speaker.
In addition to the above, the following rules shall be followed when appearing before the board:
1. State his/her name and address (address only if response requested).
2. All remarks shall be made to the board as a body and not to a particular board member.
3. No persons shall be allowed to make obscene, derogatory, or slanderous remarks while addressing the board.
4. No person shall be allowed to disrupt or interfere with procedures.
5. Remarks shall end when the speaker’s allotted time has expired.
6. Questions from the board members and/or the superintendent may be asked for clarification; however, no person shall be permitted to enter into any discussion either directly or through any member of the board.
Any person willfully violating these rules may be prohibited from appearing before the board for up to sixty (60) days.
The fifteen minute time limit and/or the three to five minute maximum per speaker may be extended with a majority vote of the board.