General Information: 
Bartow County School System strives to offer a comprehensive benefit package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. 
After enrolling as a new employee, you have the opportunity to review your benefit choices each year during the Annual Open Enrollment period. During this time, you can make changes to your benefits for the following plan year. Please note: outside of the Open Enrollment period, changes to your benefits during the year may only be allowed if you experience an eligible qualifying event such as marriage, divorce, birth of a child, loss/gain of coverage, etc. 
Bartow County School System has partnered with our broker, Shaw Hankins to offer the Bartow County Benefit Resource Center that encompasses all benefit information for onboarding and retiring employees. 
Please visit the Bartow County Resource Center for more information, useful websites, retirement information, claim forms, upcoming news, and more. 
New Hire Information: 

State Health Benefit Plan (Health Insurance)


Follow the link below to elect or waive health insurance through State Health Benefit Plan. As a new hire, you will click on "register" and use the passcode SHBP-GA. Once registered- create a username and password and continue through electing a plan or waiving coverage. (To view more information on SHBP, please click on the link under the Employee Benefits tab above)


If you are a transfer from another Georgia school district you are not eligible to make any changes to your current State Health Benefit Plan. Your current coverage and payroll deduction will transfer to Bartow County Schools.


Questions about State Health Benefit Plan? Call Toll- Free: 1-800-610-1863


Shaw Hankins BSWIFT Portal (Ancillary Benefits)


To elect or waive ancillary products, please click the link below. (For more product information, please click on the link under Employee Benefits tab above)


Username is the first letter of your first name, your last name, and last 4 digits of your Social Security number (ex. jdoe4567).


Password is the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (ex. 4567). (You will then be prompted to create a permanent password).


Questions about your ancillary products? Call Shaw Hankins Toll-Free: 1-800-994-7429


 Please note: You are required to provide the below information for all dependents/beneficiaries:

- Name

- Date of Birth

-Social Security Number 


It is required for all benefit eligible employees to access the above websites to waive or elect coverage. Failure to enroll in health insurance and ancillary products within the given time-period will result in the inability to elect coverage until the next open enrollment period. Please print and save a copy of the confirmation page for State Health Benefit Plan and Shaw Hankins products.

Qualifying Event Information: 

You may change your benefit elections during the annual Open Enrollment period OR during the year if you experience a Qualifying Life Event. Please note: You must contact your benefits administrator within 30 days of the event date to make any changes. Failure to make elections within the given time-period will result in the inability to make changes until the following open enrollment. 


Qualifying Events include, but not limited to:

Marriage: Within 31 days of the date of marriage, you may add your spouse to your existing medical, dental, or vision coverage, or drop your coverage to go on your spouse's plan. You will need to complete the appropriate forms and provide a copy of your certified marriage certificate.  You should also review your beneficiary designations for life insurance, retirement savings, and pension plans.

Divorce: You have 31 days from the date of the divorce to make a change to your current coverage. If you currently cover your spouse, you must drop his or her coverage for medical, dental, vision, etc. However, you may continue to cover children. You will be required to complete the appropriate forms and provide a signed copy of the divorce decree. You should also review beneficiary designations for life insurance, retirement, etc.

Birth, Adoption, or having a child placed in your custody or guardianship: Within 30 days of the birth, adoption, or court order, you may add the child(ren) to your existing medical and ancillary products OR drop coverage to pick up spouses insurance. At this point, you can also elect child life insurance through the Bswift portal. Required documentation will be required including, but not limited to: birth certificate, adoption order or decree, court order.

Death of a spouse or covered dependent: Within 30 days of the death, you are eligible to make changes to your current coverages. If you lose coverage elsewhere from the deceased spouse, you may elect new benefits for health insurance and ancillary products. A death certificate will be required to make any changes/elections. Please review all beneficiary information.

Loss/Gain of coverage elsewhere: Within 30 days of losing or gaining coverage elsewhere, you are eligible to elect or drop health insurance and ancillary products. Documentation will be required including, but not limited to; creditable coverage letter with coverage termination or effective date and individuals insured.

Dependent(s) Loses PeachCare or Medicaid: You have 60 days from the date of the dependent losing PeachCare or Medicaid coverage to make a change to your health benefit coverage. State Health will require documentation in the form of a letter from PeachCare or Medicaid documenting date of loss and reasons of loss /discontinuation of coverage.


How to Declare a Qualifying Event:

  1. Log on to to declare QE and make changes to your health insurance.
  2. Log on to OR call Shaw Hankins (770-382-0951 or 1-800-994-7429) to make changes to your ancillary products.
  3. Contact benefit specialist, Lindsey Huskins, at the central office to inform her of your QE for payroll deduction purposes. 770-606-5800 extension 3814